Monday, July 30, 2007

7/30/07 Stock Purchase Update - After The Carnage

In my 7/23/07 stock purchase update, I wrote about how my stock buy selections of Terex (TEX), Potash (POT), Shaw Communications (SJR) and Avnet (AVT) were performing. At that time, the portfolio was up $2310 for a 13.2% gain. However, the remaining four days of the week were not kind to my portfolio. At the close on 7/27/07, the portfolio down about 9%, but still up with gain of $768 for a return of 4.4% since buying the stocks. Here's the current status on the positions in these four stocks:
My Wealth Builder Buy List
StockSharesPurchase Price

Current Price
7/27/07

Terex (TEX)50

$82.36

$83.50

Potash (POT)50

$71.39

$77.73

Shaw Communications B (SJR)50

$43.51

$49.35

Avnet (AVT)200

$38.11

$38.62



Overall, I continue to be happy with the performance of these four stocks, given that the portfolio still has a positive return of 4.4%. Not bad for about 8-14 weeks of owning these stocks :-) Since the last update, TEX and AVT declined significantly, while POT declined slightly and SJR were flat.

I have been impressed with my ability to stay invested in these stocks, in spite of the market volatility. In the past, I would have closed out the entire position with this level volatility. However, while I believe we continue to be in a late stage bull market, I am concerned that the turning point may happen sooner than my estimated timing of next year. If the market turns significantly downward this week, I may close out these positions.

For more on Strategies and Plans, check back every Monday for a new segment.

This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2007 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: