Monday, August 13, 2007

8/13/07 Stock Purchase Update - The Difference a Day Makes

In my 8/6/07 stock purchase update, I wrote about how my stock buy selections of Terex (TEX), Potash (POT), Shaw Communications (SJR) and Avnet (AVT) were performing. The portfolio was up $495 for a 2.8% gain, down from a peak of $2310 and 13.2% on 7/23/07. At the close on 8/10/07, the portfolio only had a gain of $234 and a return of 1.3% since purchase. Due to hosting the Festival of Stocks #49, I delayed posting another update one day until this evening. As predicted in New Life For The Bull Market, the positions had excellent gains of up to 7% today, leading to a $913 gain and a 5.2% return since buying the stocks. Here's the current status on the positions in these four stocks:

My Wealth Builder Buy List
StockSharesPurchase Price

Current Price
8/13/07

Terex (TEX)50

$82.36

$78.30

Potash (POT)50

$71.39

$87.57

Shaw Communications B (SJR)100*

$21.755

$22.21

Avnet (AVT)200

$38.11

$39.42


* 2 for 1 split on 8/3/07

Overall, I am still happy with the performance of these four stocks, given that the portfolio still has a positive return of 5.2%. Not bad for about 9-15 weeks of owning these stocks :-) Since the last update, TEX declined significantly, while AVT gained significantly (due to an upgrade by Citigroup) and POT and SJR were flat.

I have been impressed with my ability to stay invested in these stocks, in spite of the market volatility. In the past, I would have closed out the entire position with this level of volatility. However, the central bank interventions have convinced me that the bull market is in its last stage, and I will be looking to close out these positions during the next significant rally.

For more on Strategies and Plans, check back every Monday for a new segment.

This is not financial or investing advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2007 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of all your holdings,I like POT the best.Although it probably has a high PE, everyone has to eat, it recently split, and will probably do so again. Its price action (REL STRENGTH) is outstanding and has a high institutional following. GI

Super Saver said...

GI,

Good pick:-) POT has been the best performing stock in the portfolio so far, having never gone negative since the initial purchase.