Monday, September 03, 2007

9/3/07 Stock Purchase Update - Holding On To Gains

In my 8/27/07 stock purchase update, I wrote about how my stock buy recommendations of Terex (TEX), Potash (POT), Shaw Communications (SJR) and Avnet (AVT) were performing. In that update, the portfolio was up $1075 for a 6.1 % gain, from a peak gain of $2310 and 13.2% on 7/23/07. Although delayed, a reversal predicted in New Life For The Bull Market seems to have started. As of 8/31/07, the portfolio is steady at a $1123 profit for a 6.4% gain. Here's the current status on the positions in these four stocks:

My Wealth Builder Buy List
StockSharesPurchase Price

Current Price
8/31/07

Terex (TEX)50

$82.36

$79.88

Potash (POT)50

$71.39

$88.56

Shaw Communications B (SJR)100*

$21.755

$23.24

Avnet (AVT)200

$38.11

$39.31


* 2 for 1 split on 8/3/07

Overall, I am still happy with the performance of these four stocks, given that the overall decline of the market. Since the last update, TEX, POT, AVT and SJR had relatively little change. However, the portfolio did lose 5% dip with the 280 point drop in the Dow on Tuesday, August 28, 2007, which was recovered by week's end. Dr. Bernanke and President Bush seem to have mitigated the effects of the Mortgage and Credit Crisis on the stock market with supportive comments on Friday, August 31, 2007.

I continue to be impressed with my commitment to stay invested in these stocks, in spite of the market volatility. In the past, I would have closed out the entire position with this level of volatility. Given the performance of the portfolio, I am glad I held my positions instead of allowing myself to be whipsawed by the market each week. However, the recent events (credit crunch, central bank interventions) have convinced me that the bull market is in its last stage, and I will consider closing out these positions during the next significant rally.

For more on Strategies and Plans, check back every Monday for a new segment.

This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2007 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work! I'm in the process of updating for the week as well. Zecco's been closed all weekend so I may have to wait for a full balance refresh before I can post anything. I'm disappointed in Terex but I think part of it was caused by watching Jim Cramer tout it as an $80 that would run to $120 (in a bull market of course). Only difference between you and I is that you're working with 20 times more capital than I am hah! Stay safe in September, or so I've heard.

Super Saver said...

Jorge,

Thanks for the comment.

I'm not concerned about Terex, yet. Globally, there is a lot of infrastructure building or rebuilding, which will require equipment. TEX will benefit.

Good luck in September:-)