Sunday, January 27, 2008

Making Small Purchases Of Stocks On My Updated Buy List

Over the last two weeks, I made 20 to 25 share purchases of six stocks. Five were new positions: Intuitive Surgical (ISRG), Priceline (PCLN), Apple (AAPL), Core Labs (CLB), and Research in Motion (RIMM). I also added to our existing position of Google (GOOG). As of Friday, January 25, 2008, these stocks were down between 13% to 36% from their peaks.

The basis for choosing these stocks comes from three stock picking systems, of which the first two I have been using regularly:

  • A Modified Unemotional Investor Growth System. I have been using this system for a little over three years, with relatively good results. For a short summary of the system, see My Stock Picks for Q1 2007. The current picks in this system are: Apple (AAPL), Potash (POT), and Research in Motion (RIMM). I already own Potash since it has been a consistent pick of the system since June, 2007. I purchased 25 shares each of Apple and Research in Motion on 1/17/2008.


  • Core Holdings. Our Core Long Term Stock Holdings shares three stocks, Google (GOOG), Amazon (AMZN) and General Electric (GE), that I believe are positioned for excellent results over the next 20 years. Although, these stocks are down 24%, 23%, and 19%, respectively, from their highs, I believe their fundamental business models are still very good.

    Last week, I added 20 shares to our position in Google. I may purchase additional shares of Amazon this week. I don't plan to add to the General Electric position, for now.


  • Unemotional Investor Growth Top 5. This is using one of the systems shared by Robert Sheard in his book The Unemotional Investor. The current picks using this system are: Intuitive Surgical (ISRG), Priceline (PCLN), Apple (AAPL), Core Labs (CLB), and Potash (POT). Since I already owned Apple and Potash from the Modified Unemotional Growth System, I only purchased Intuitive Surgical (20 shares) and Core Labs (25 shares).

  • Here are the results as of Friday, January 25, 2008 for these new purchases:


    My Wealth Builder
    January, 2008 Purchases
    Stock [purchase date]SharesPurchase Price

    Current Price 1/25/08

    Apple (AAPL) [1/17/08]25

    $160.93

    $130.01

    Research in Motion (RIMM) [1/17/08]25

    $88.71

    $91.05

    Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) [1/18/08]20

    $261.81

    $269.00

    Priceline (PCLN) [1/18/08]25

    $92.33

    $104.58

    Core Labs (CLB) [1/25/08]25

    $116.25

    $112.65

    Google (GOOG) [1/25/08]20

    $582.66

    $566.40




    The results have been mixed so far. This portfolio is down $679 for a loss of 2.4% due primarily to the declines of Apple and Google. The market action of this week will prove whether I bought these stocks too early, or if I anticipated a short term bottom correctly. If the market declines further, I plan to hold on to these positions. If the market rallies significantly, I may take some profit as the rally appears to weaken.

    For more on New Beginnings, check back every Sunday for a new segment.

    This is not financial or stock investment advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2008 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    2 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Hi
    I would really like to know how you added google ads on the left side of your blog?

    Super Saver said...

    Vikas,

    Adding a left column requires using a blogger template with a three column format. I am currently using Classic Blogger format and added the third column by changing the HTML code. I would like to update to a New Blogger template, but have not found a Son of Moto three column XML Template that functions correctly. Thus, I continue to use the modified Classic Blogger template.