Thursday, March 13, 2008

Front Page Of The Newspaper Test

"Don't do anything you wouldn't want to have on the front page of the New York Times." ~ New York Times Rule

The headlines of this week reminded me of the famous New York Times rule I had heard a long time ago. To me, the rule always seemed like a reasonable test on the appropriateness of an action or activity. If I would be embarassed to have the public read about what I did, then I probably shouldn't do it.

I wonder what may be the defining tests for future generations. I don't expect the New York Times to be as big a factor when my daughter becomes an adult. Social networking sites may be a much bigger force in the future, resulting in the rule becoming, "don't do anything you wouldn't want an employer to see on My Space or Facebook."

In either case, it's probably best to remember a quote from Benjamin Franklin, “It takes many good deeds to build a good reputation, and only one bad one to lose it.”

For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday for a new segment.

This is not financial, political or ethics advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2008 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: