Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ideal Elements Of My Part Time Job

Today is the last day of my seasonal part time job. I've enjoyed the experience and plan to return next year, although for fewer hours. Here's what I've learned from my part time job that will help design my dream job:
  1. Creating and selling the end product is energizing. Previously, I had worked over 20 years in R&D (Research and Development) design new products. While we did work with the final customer, our organization was not ultimately making the product and the final sale. We did the design work, the scientific experiments, and qualified the product for production and sale. However, I only owned a small piece of each product that was produced an sold.

    In my part time job, I create a final product for each client that is customized to their needs and situation. As A Modern Conundrum: When Work's Invisible, So Are Its Satisfactions by Jared Sanberg of The Wall Street Journal points out, there is great satisfaction is being 100% responsible for the final product.


  2. Working with the final user has been very satisfying. Similar to number one, my previous job was, on a daily basis, was several degrees of separation from the final user. I have found that I enjoyed interacting with 95% of the clients with whom I worked. I expect that 20% will specifically request that I do the work for them next year.


  3. Immediate broad awareness of my service. While I think I am very good at what I do, I would have had only 1% of the clients if I had done the work on my own. That's because the company has excellent brand recognition, drawing in many more clients than I could on my own. If my dream job is to be successful, it will need awareness past family and friends. The challenge will be to create awareness in a low cost and effective way.
These are a few of the elements I would like to incorporate in my dream job as I create it.

For more on New Beginnings, check back every Sunday for the next segment.

This is not financial or career advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2008 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: