Friday, May 02, 2008

Retiree Moments

Since retiring in my forties in 2007, I've noticed that I've started experiencing some of the situations that I had with retirees from our company when I was still working. Here are two that happened to me so far:

  • Memory lapse for names. Since many retirees stay in the area, it is not uncommon to cross paths in social situations. In the past, I suspected that several retirees remembered me, but not my name. So I began to reintroduce myself whenever I met any retirees.

    While it has only been seven months since retiring, it seems my company and the people are already a lifetime away. I have already experienced several situations where it took me several minutes or even another day for me to remember a colleague's name, especially if I didn't work with them on at least a weekly basis.


  • Looking younger. Often, retirees from our company appear about five years younger within a year of retiring. I noticed this phenomenon with several colleagues who retired before me. I attribute the change to a general reduction in stress.

    I was flattered when a colleague made the same comment to me at a cookout with a former work group last week. It must be a real phenomenon:-)
  • Most of the company retirees I know are also doing well health wise and financially. Hopefully, I will have a similar experience in these areas also.

    For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday for a new segment.

    This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2008 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    No comments: