Thursday, December 04, 2008

My New Criteria for a Job

I still remember when I was looking for my first full time job after college. My criteria for a good job were:
  1. In my field of study. I majored in Chemical Engineering and wanted to use my degree on the job. Even though I already had a strong interest in finance, I didn't consider banking or investment jobs. Thus, I interviewed mainly with Oil, Chemical and other companies that were hiring chemical engineers.


  2. Top company in their industry. I wanted to work for the a "best in class" company, because I believed there would be long term career opportunities, including advancement, skills development, personal growth and job stability.


  3. Excellent pay and benefits. When I was just starting out, I wanted to get a great salary, excellent health care, and very good retirement benefits. Luckily, I was able to find a company that met these needs.

Since taking early retirement in October, 2007, my criteria for a job at this stage of life are much different:
  1. Flexibility. I would like working hours and locations that I can choose, to match my personal preferences. I took early retirement so I could spend more time with my family. I wouldn't want work to get in the way of that goal.


  2. Having my preferred working environment. For me, I want nothing to do with bureaucracy, politics or people who are difficult. I've already had a long career of organizational responsibilities, managing upwards, and dealing with poor performers. I'd just like to focus on the work for the client. OK, it may be a fantasy, but it will be fun to find a job that meets this criteria :-)


  3. Continued personal growth. Ideally, I would want the opportunity to continue learning new things that will benefit me professionally and personally.

I thought I found a good match in a seasonal part time job last year. Although the flexibility and personal growth options are excellent, I've noticed the bureaucracy has increased significantly for this year. If the work environment keeps deteriorating, I may choose not to return next year.

This is not financial or career advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2008 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: