Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Refurbished Instead of Buying

We have a natural gas outdoor grill which I really like because I don't need to use a propane tank.   It is a small grill with very basic features which I purchased at a year-end clearance for $150 seven years ago.  While the body is still in very good condition, the internal heating elements are in very poor shape.  For the past couple years, I've been checking local stores for another natural gas grill, but only found models which required a natural gas conversion kit.  However, I didn't want to pay $400+ dollars for a new natural gas grill.

By chance, I noticed a phone number for the manufacturer on the serial number plate of the grill.  I called and found out that the company sold replacement parts for my grill.  For about $60, I was able to replace all the heating element parts.   For another $50, I decided to order a few additional new parts such as grill racks and a spark ignitor box.   Within a couple hours, I was able to install the new parts and have essentially a new grill  on the inside.   (For reference, the spark ignitor box appears to be the wrong part, and I will need an exchange.)

Today, we used the grill and it worked like it was new.  Hopefully, the refurbished grill will give us five more years of use:-)
 
For more on Ideas You Can Use, check back every Tuesday for a new segment.list

This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: