Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Challenging My Home Valuation Again

In 2008 assessment, the county increased my property value by 3%.  I called the county office and complained.  I asked them cynically if anyone read a newspaper.  If they had, they might have noticed there was a real estate crash in progress.  I told them to send me the paper work to challenge the valuation .  I successfully reduced our property taxes by 16.4%.

For the 2011 assessment, the county kept my property value the same.   I guess there still isn't anyone that reads a newspaper at the county office.  Otherwise, they might have noticed there is a double dip in housing prices.  Using comparable sales information from my neighborhood, I estimate our home market value has dropped another 10%.

I'll definitely be challenging our property valuation again. 

For more on  Ideas You Can Use, check back every Tuesday for a new segment.

This is not financial or tax advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: