Thursday, August 25, 2011

Enjoy Working with Students

It's refreshing to work with students.  Due to my various retirement jobs, I do a lot of work with students.  I teach science to K-2 in after school programs, tutor high school students for college prep tests, and help college students and young employees on professional and career development.  Here are the reasons I like it:


  • Great attitudes.  Most of my students are very positive and interested in learning.  Perhaps it's self selection since students are taking the courses voluntarily.   Most of the time :-)

  • Making a difference.  I pretty good one-to-one with students and young professionals.  I do a good job of evaluating their situation, identify an outstanding solution, and providing an outstanding solution.  I love seeing the light bulb go off in their head.  I've learned the skill of being positive and patient.

  • Appreciation.   Students are generally appreciative of the help provided.   Tonight, I wished my student good luck on the test, since I won't always be her teach.  She said, "I hope you are my teacher again."    It's great immediate positive reinforcement that I did my job well.

  • However, I know I am not great full time teacher material.  I wouldn't want to teach the same class in a structured setting for nine months. I'm much better at the once a week intervention.  I'm happy, the students are happy, and my employer is happy. 

    Best of all, I'm paid 2-3 times minimum wage for doing a job that's still seems fun :-)

    Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to continue working with students for many more years.


    For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday for a new segment.

    This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    No comments: