Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where was I Ten Years Ago - 9/11/01

On September 11, 2001, we were living in Japan on an expat assignment for my company.

It was late evening in Japan, and I was sitting in front of our computer. I was up getting ready to make some trades in our U.S. brokerage account. As I was preparing for the open of the stock market, the news section on the brokerage web page announced that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center building. I assumed that it was a small plane and that it was an accident.

Then the news flashed that a second plane had crashed into the World Trade Center building.  I knew immediately that the crashes were not an accident.  The probability of two planes crashing into buildings next to each other was extremely small.  I told my spouse, "This can't be an accident."  Little did I know how bad it really was.

I turned on the TV and watched the news.  It was clear something bad was happening.  There were images of the World Trade Center burning.  There was a replay of the second plane crashing into the tower.   I stayed glued to the TV until 3 AM  (3 PM Eastern Time).

When I went to work on September 12, 2001, it was clear the world had changed.

For more on New Beginnings, check back every Sunday for a new segment.

This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: