Friday, November 18, 2011

Avoiding "Big Company" Organizations

I worked all of my career at a Fortune 100 company, advancing to the top 5% of management before retiring at 49.  After retiring,  I decided to work for smaller companies which allowed me to avoid corporate bureaucracy and better leverage my experience and personal strengths.

However, two of the companies that employ me are starting to implement "big company" operations.  They are systematizing the work and asking employees to follow proven processes.   Objectively, I agree with what the companies are doing.   Systematization is necessary for efficiency, effectiveness and accelerating business growth.   But for me, the work is becoming less energizing and less fun.   I just don't enjoy investing effort in company systems and processes.

For both these companies, I've significantly cut back on my work hours.  One of the companies has tripled its part time staff.  So it's easy for me to work less than a 10 hours a month.  For the other company, the job is seasonal and only last four months.  Still, I am only going to work 10-12 hours a week,  and only schedule additional hours for returning customers. 

The way both companies are evolving, I expect that they will continue their journey be becoming "big companies," which is the right business decision.  So I probably won't be working at these companies in a couple years.
 
For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday for a new segment.

This is not financial, job or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

© 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

2 comments:

Financial Independence said...

It sounds a bit strange: " ..after retiring a decided to work for small companies".

Could it be, that after working for nearly three decades for a major company, if could feel adding less value, as soon as smaller companies optimize themselves?

Super Saver said...

You're right. The phrase "After retiring, I decide to work..." does sound strange. As explanation, I now work in areas I would enjoy volunteering, but have chosen to do it for (low) pay since I feel being paid reflects the work being valued more.

My personal issue with "optimization" is that I enjoy the work much less when there are more company systems and corporate bureaucracy that need to be followed. Perhaps, as you point out, it is also because I add less value on a personal basis.