Friday, December 02, 2011

Working Close to Home is My Preference

Since taking early retirement in my forties in 2007, I've worked seven different part time seasonal jobs and one temporary full time job.   One part time job and the temporary full time job were "work from home."  The rest of the other jobs required a commute from 2 to 10 miles, one way.   While I disliked the 10 mile commute the most, I didn't like working from home the best. To me, working close to home was the best.  Here are the reasons:
  • Gets me out of the house.   Working from home made it too easy to stay in the house all day.  Working a couple miles away was a reasonably short commute time and got me outstide.


  • Leaves work at work.  All my commuting jobs allowed me to leave work at the job.  Working from home made my work always available to do.


  • Separates home and work.   When working from home, my den became both a personal and work place.  I prefer work to more separated from my personal life instead of always connected.
  • In 2012, I will be limiting my part time retirement jobs to those that are within 5 miles of my house.  That way I get a very short commute and can leave work when it's done.
     
    For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday for a new segment.

    This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2011 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    No comments: