Saturday, February 04, 2012

GPS or Map in My Mind?

A GPS is another electronic gadget that I haven't purchased.  I used them a couple times. Most of the time, I am comfortable with reading and using a map. The time I found a GPS most useful was when I was in Germany and it was a little difficult to identify the autobahn exits and side roads. 

My mother-in-law recently gave her GPS to my spouse to use.  Although I haven't actually used the GPS, I am not to impressed based on the test I did in simulation mode.  I simulated a trip from our house to my mother-in-law's house.  The GPS simulation proceeded to drive into an adjoining neighborhood and tour several of the streets.  On the next try, the GPS route went on a 2 lane back road through several small towns.  On the third try, the GPS used the highway route, but didn't choose the best way to access the freeway that we have learned over the years.
Since this was the major brand GPS, I checked the Internet for reviews of the model.  It seems that 90% of reviewers had an excellent experience with the GPS.  10%  of the reviewers had similar or worse issues with the GPS model, and the issues were not correctable.  For now I am in agreement with the 10% minority.  I believe the local map that I have in my mind is much better.

On our next long trip, we plan to use the GPS, even though the route is well known to us. Hopefully. in real use, we won't get the same issues seen in simulation or experienced by the 10% reviewers.
For more on Reflections and Musings, check back every Saturday for a new segment.

This is not financial or navigation advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2012 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: