Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Choosing Pay As I Go Options

I am always tempted to purchase a membership over just making a one time payment when attending museums, zoos, pools, gyms or similar venues. It always seem that the membership will payout in relatively few visits.  In the past, I have purchased the membership because of the perceived savings.   However, I've learned that for the majority of memberships, I would have been better off financially to just pay when we decide to attend since the total cost of my visits often don't exceed the membership cost.

So for now, I'm no longer purchasing memberships for any activity.  (My spouse will keep one membership to a local nature preserve.)   Although each time will feel like I'm missing a deal when attend a venue, I will know that paying for an admission each time will be a savings over purchasing an annual membership.

For more on The Practice of Personal Finance, check back every Wednesday for a new segment.

This is not financial advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2013 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: