Friday, May 17, 2013

What I've Learned from my Retirement Jobs

It's been a little over 5-1/2 years since I took early retirement.  During that time, I've worked at eight different jobs in hopes of finding the perfect retirement job.   Here's what I've learned from the experience.
  • No perfect retirement job.  Perhaps, the perfect retirement job is the equivalent of a modern day Holy Grail, which an never be attained.  Some were close, but none met all my criteria.  My proposal to create the perfect retirement job was turned down by my organization.
  • No longer a corporate mindset.  I am no longer interested in conforming to corporate direction if I do not personally agree.  Also, I only give respect to those managers worthy of receiving it, which only happened a couple times in my retirement jobs.
  • Need meaningful personal learning. An must have element of my retirement jobs is that I get significant personal development from the experience.  Once the personal learning stops, I am no longer interested in the job.

  • Finallly, a "job that I love" is only possible for the short term, maybe 2-3 years.  So I'm glad I chose  a  27 year career in a job that utilized my strengths and paid well during my working years.

    For more on Reaping the Rewards, check back every Friday for a new segment.

    This is not financial,career, or retirement advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

    Copyright © 2013 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

    2 comments:

    Moneycation said...

    The perfect retirement job probably varies quite a bit between individuals. Pursing a passion or interest ranks high on some retirees list, but continuing and leveraging professional growth in a career from a 'pre-retirement' industry may weigh higher for others. In any case, best of luck with your journey and your search for the perfect retirement job.

    KC @ genxfinance said...

    Retirement jobs are sometimes for those who have not yet recovered from their long years of working in a corporate company. It would be better to look for a hobby instead or try things you've never tried before to occupy your time.