Thursday, June 06, 2013

An Unbreakable Record

"Records are made to be broken." ~ unknown

Last year, I was checking the sports records for my high school and found that I still hold a school track record that has now stood for over 40 years. It is for the 4 X 220 yard indoor relay race. I was very surprised to see the record was still standing, especially since runners are much faster now than 40 years ago.

Funny thing is that I don't remember that we set a record, even though I remember the race. I ran my best indoor 220 split ever and our team won the race in a dual meet. I was the slowest runner on the team so I ran the third leg. I managed hold my own during my leg, but was still in second place when I handed off the baton. It was our anchor man that won the race for us.

It took me a while, but I finally figured out why the record still stands.  Track races are now in meters and our race was in yards.   So unless race go back to English measures, our time will always be the school record for the 4 X 220 yard relay race.  It will be an unbreakable record.

For more on Crossing Generations, check back every Thursday  for a new segment.

This is not financial or athletic advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2013 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: