Saturday, August 10, 2013

My Exit Plan from Blogging

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 will be the seventh anniversary of the My Wealth Builder. While I've enjoyed writing for this blog, I know I won't be blogging another seven years.   So I've been thinking about a plan to wrap up My Wealth Builder.

When I started My Wealth Builder, I had hoped to build a large reader base and then monetize the blog through text link ads and Google ads. Blogging to make extra income was the rage at the time. My Wealth Builder never did reach the business goals I had set.   Readership grew for about two years and then plateaued.   Monetization peaked at about three years and has declined steadily since then to a little more than zero.

While My Wealth Builder did not meet my business goals, the blog did help me in achieving my personal retirement goals: specifically, the wealth builder ratios.  In addition, writing for the blog also helped me think through investment strategies and retirement income strategies.

So here are three possible endpoints for this blog. Endpoint #1:  Demonstrating that we have sustainably achieved the wealth ratios. I expect we will be able to do this by the end of 2013, which would be one year.   Endpoint #2:  At the 10 year anniversary of My Wealth Builder, August 13, 2016.   If I do this one, I will cut back from publishing every day to 2-3 times a week.   Endpoint #3:  At the 10 year anniversary of retiring, October 2, 2017.  Again, I would cut back from publishing every day to a couple times a week.

At this point, Endpoint #1 feels like the best option.   I expect to meet all the wealth ratios for the fourth consecutive quarter on December 31, 2013.  After that I will work towards wrapping up My Wealth Builder.

For more on Reflections and Musings, check back every Saturday  for a new segment.


This is not financial or blogging advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2013 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

No comments: