Saturday, September 07, 2013

Expecting Tough Times Ahead

"All good things must come to an end."  ~ Geoffrey Chaucer

After reading Barron's today, I am fully expecting a significant drop in the stock market. There are just too many uncertainties and negative factors looming.  The drop may happen as soon as the end of 2013 or it could be delayed for another  couple years.

2013 feels a lot like 2007 to me.  Despite a number of warning signs in 2007, the stock market kept advancing.  My company stock kept rising and the value of our savings and retirement accounts reached an all time high.  2013 has advanced to new highs, in spite of weakening economic numbers.  My company stock has reached a new high, and the value of our savings and retirement accounts have reached new highs.

However, unlike 2007, I'm going to listen to the numerous warning signs.  Instead of planning for the best and hoping against the worst, I'm doing the opposite: planning for the worst and hoping for the best.  That way I'll benefit whether I'm right or wrong :-)

For more on Reflections and Musings, check back every Saturday  for a new segment.

This is not financial or investing advice. Please consult a professional advisor.

Copyright © 2013 Achievement Catalyst, LLC

1 comment:

Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com said...

I agree - something big is likely to occur in the next year or two. However, I've given up trying to time the market and just invest in boring old market index funds on a routine basis. For me, dollar cost averaging really does work best!